The tomb of Muhammad Shah, the third ruler of the Sayyid dynasty, sits within what is presently known as Lodi Gardens. Constructed around 1445 AD, the tomb follows the typical octagonal pattern that had become common during the Sayyid and Lodi dynasties.
A verandah runs around a central octagonal burial chamber, with the facade of each side being pierced by three identical arches. Sloping buttresses reinforce each of the eight external angles of the structure. The centre of the roof of each side is occupied by a domed ‘chattri’. The central chamber rises up to support a sixteen sided drum, which in turn supports the main dome.