Built during the years 1320-25, the tomb of Ghiyas ud din Tughlaq, the first ruler of the Tughlaq dynasty, stands like a small fortress off the Mehrauli – Badarpur road, directly opposite the Tughlaqabad fort. The tomb was built by the Sultan himself, and is a brilliant example of the early Indo – Islamic style. The structure sits within a fortified pentagonal enclosure, with the heavily battered walls and corner turrets characteristic of Tughlaq era buildings. The tomb itself is square in plan, with it’s walls battered upwards and crowned by a dome.
View in Google Maps: